Mold occurs in nature to aid in the decomposition of natural, organic materials. Mold in the home causes property damage and poses a health risk to occupants. Mold-related health symptoms vary depending on the type of mold growing in the home. Keep your home safe and healthy by knowing these signs of mold.
What is Mold?
Mold is a fungus that thrives in damp environments and reproduces with via tiny spores. These spores are very hardy and some can survive even in dry conditions. When mold spores land on a moist surface, mold begins to grow.
Mold creates stains and damages surfaces and the building’s structure. Sometimes mold appears as fuzzy patches or dark streaks. However, detecting signs of mold in the home is not always easy because mold can grow behind walls, under carpeting, and in attics.
Look for These Signs of Mold in the Home
Signs of mold in the home are not always visible. A mold problem may be first detected by a musty odor that is sometimes described as a damp smell, similar to wet socks or rotten wood. Upholstery, walls, carpeting, or even ventilation ducts may smell of mold.
Warped floorboards, a water stain on a ceiling, or peeling wallpaper point to conditions that are conducive to mold growth. Depending on the type of mold, you may see specks of black or discolored areas of grayish-brown or green growth. There are many colors and varieties; some molds even appear as pink, purple, or orange.
Allergic Reactions are Signs of Mold
Mold can cause or worsen allergy-like symptoms such as red eyes, runny noses, sneezing, coughing, sinus infections, or skin irritation. If a member of your household experiences symptoms that improve when they leave the house, this may be a warning sign of mold in the home.